Alexander Meleagrou-Hitchens – Head of Research and Information
Alexander Meleagrou-Hitchens is a PhD candidate at King’s College, London and Head of Research and Information at ICSR. He is also an investigator for the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START) at the University of Maryland. His main area of study is the growth and success of English speaking Salafi-jihadist ideologues in the West, and the far-right in Europe.
Prior to joining ICSR, Hitchens worked as a Fellow at Policy Exchange and the Centre for Social Cohesion, where he focused on radicalisation, ‘homegrown’ extremism and the far-right.
He has contributed to various online and printed publications including, the Daily Telegraph, the Independent, the Wall Street Journal, Foreign Policy, Foreign Affairs, Lebanon’s Daily Star, CTC Sentinel,Standpoint and NOWLebanon. His work has also been cited in the Weekly Standard, Observer, Daily Express, and by the BBC.
He can be contacted vial email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ‘A Neo Nationalist Network: The English Defence League and Europe’s Counter-Jihad Movement’, ICSR, 13 March 2013
- ‘Jihad Comes to Kenya’, Foreign Affairs, 8 January 2013.
- ‘Lights, Camera, Jihad: al-Shabaab’s Western Media Strategy’, ICSR, 21 November 2012.
- ‘Factors Responsible for Al-Shabab’s Losses in Somalia’, West Point CTC Sentinel, 26 September 2012.
- ‘As American As Apple Pie: How Anwar Al-Awlaki Became The Face Of Western Jihad’, ICSR, 8 September 2012.
- ‘Escaping militant Islam in Eastleigh’, Prospect Magazine, 13 August 2012.
- ‘United Kingdom Entry for ‘World Almanac of Islamism”, American Foreign Policy Council, 14 July 2012.
- ‘ICSR Insight: Who are Greece’s new fascists?’, ICSR, 16 May 2012.
- ‘Al Qaeda’s Most Dangerous Franchise’, Wall Street Journal, 10 May 2012.
- ‘Searching for an answer to the Arab Spring’, The Spectator, 11 April 2012.
- ‘Al-Qaeda’s Media Strategy and its Role in Mobilizing Western Muslims’, Johns Hopkins Center for Advanced Governmental Studies, 22 March 2012.
- ‘Al-Shabaab’s Western Recruitment Strategy’, West Point CTC Sentinel, 18 January 2012.
- ‘Breivik’s Debt is to Anti-Muslim Bigots’, Lebanon Daily Star, 6 August 2011.
- ‘Anwar al-`Awlaqi’s Disciples: Three Case Studies’, West Point CTC Sentinel, 1 July 2011.
- ‘Voice of Terror’, Foreign Policy, 18 January 2011.
- ‘The Making of the Christmas Day Bomber’, Current Trends in Islamist Ideology, 23 July 2010.