John Holland-McCowan – Research Fellow
John Holland-McCowan is a Research Fellow at ICSR. His current research focuses on how terrorist groups, particularly the PKK and ISIS, utilize terrain for their strategic benefit. He is a PhD candidate at King’s College London, holds an MA in Terrorism, Security, and Society from King’s College London, as well as a BA in Government and Archaeology from Harvard College.
- ‘War of Shadows: How Turkey’s Conflict with the PKK Shapes the Syrian Civil War and Iraqi Kurdistan’ (London: ICSR, 2017); available here.
- ‘Caliphate in Decline: An Estimate of Islamic State’s Financial Fortunes’ (London: ICSR, 2017) (with Peter Neumann, Rajan Basra, and Stefan Heißner); available here.
- ICSR Insight – The Catalonia Attacks in Context
- ICSR Insight – Who Will Hold The Keys To Al-Bab?
- ICSR Insight – Why the Kurdish-led SDF Will Struggle to Retake Raqqa
- ICSR Insight – Limits on the Iraqi Kurds’ Impact on the Battle for Mosul
Follow John on Twitter at @