Six weeks before the British general elections, ICSR – together with IPPR, the Friedrich Ebert Foundation, and the German Embassy – convened a one-day conference on the issue of ‘Political Islam and Public Policy’. Attended by nearly 200 guests, the aim was to develop a more nuanced understanding of political Islam, but also – and more importantly – consider domestic and foreign policy options.
Among the speakers and panellists were:
- HE Georg Boomgarden, German Ambassador to the UK
- Dr Khaled Hroub, Cambridge University
- Yahya Birt, Director, City Circle
- Baroness Kishwer Falkner, Liberal Democrat spokesperson on foreign affairs
- Chrispin Blunt MP, Shadow Minister for Home Affairs and Counterterrorism
- Prof Herta Däubler-Gmelin, former German Secretary of Justice
- Maajid Nawaz, Director, Quilliam Foundation
- Oliver McTernan, Director, Forward Thinking
- Martin Bright, Political Editor, Jewish Chronicle
- Anas Altikriti, CEO, Cordoba Foundation
- Ruprecht Polenz MP, Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the German Bundestag
- Magali Rheault, Senior Analyst, Gallup World Muslim Poll
Impressions of the conference, the conference programme as well as a summary report, can be found by following the links above.