At this major conference, experts, analysts and policymakers from across Europe discussed the evolving threat from a new breed of far right extremists, the so-called “Counter-Jihad” movement.
The event also launched ICSR’s latest policy report, “A Neo-Nationalist Network: The English Defence League and Europe’s Counter-Jihad Movement“, written by Alexander Meleagrou-Hitchens and Hans Brun.
A keynote speech wasdelivered by James Brokenshire MP, Home Office Minister for Crime and Security.
Other speakers included:
• Ian Bradshaw, Tackling Extremism & Hate Crime Division, DCLG
• Matthew Collins, Hope not Hate
• Professor Roger Griffin, Oxford Brookes University
• Jonathan Birdwell, Demos
• Maria Margaronis, The Nation
• Magnus Ranstorp, Swedish National Defence College
• Vidhya Ramalingam, Institute for Strategic Dialogue
The sessions were moderated by Professor Peter Neumann and Dr. John Bew of ICSR.
This conference was hosted by ICSR in partnership with the Community Security Trust (CST), the Center for Asymmetric Threat Studies (CATS) and the Swedish National Defence College.
For full videos of the keynote address, the paper launch and the panels, please see below.
Keynote by James Brokenshire MP
Panel 1: The Old Far Right
ICSR Paper Launch
Panel 2: The New Far Right
Panel 3: Moving Forward